Does it seem to you like we have a lot of days and months focused on our cats? We’re not saying that’s a bad thing for sure and we’re beaming with pride to tell you about the fact that September is happy cat month!
Yes, the whole month of September, all 30 days is focused on spreading education and awareness about the importance of our favorite feline companions. This day is brought to you by the CATalyst Council who are the ones that initially had the day formalized. As you might imagine, their mission is all about the feline, who is the #1 companion pet in the U.S.
One of the misconceptions that the CATalyst Council seeks to dispel is that cats do not need the same level of love and attention as dogs. For those of us that have cats, we know that nothing could be further from the truth. Our cats enrich our lives and, at least when they feel like it, are very social, loving and snuggly companions.
So in honor of our favorite pets, here’s some fun facts about cats that you may not know about:
- There are over 500 million domestic cats in the world. And many more feral companions that live in our communities.
- Cats and humans have been associated for nearly 10,000 years.
- Cats conserve energy by sleeping for an average of 13 to 14 hours a day. (author’s note: I think our cats are going for the record and tend to sleep 18-20!)
- A group of cats is called a clowder, a male cat is called a tom, a female cat is called a molly or queen while young cats are called kittens.
- Cats have powerful night vision, allowing them to see at light levels six times lower than what a human needs in order to see.
- Cats also have excellent hearing and a powerful sense of smell.
- On average cats live for around 12 to 15 years.
- Cats spend a large amount of time licking their coats to keep them clean.
- Feral cats are often seen as pests and threats to native animals.
So find a comfy spot and snuggle up to your favorite cat in honor of happy cat month. You’ll make yourself and them happy!